Panchakajjaya a very popular Naivedya (Offerings to the Lord). It is prepared during various hindu ceremonies and festivals.Krishna Janmastami and Diwali (Tulsi Pooja) are two of the many occasions when it is prepared. During Ganahoma, it is one of the key naivedya items without which the Homa cannot be performed.
There are different types of Panchakajjaya. One that is made from roasted chickpea whereas the one made by us is prepared by mixing puffed rice in a thick jaggery syrup.
There are simple ingredients involved in preparation of this, however the way its prepared is the key. Which honeslty is very simple too.
Lets take a quick look at what all goes in the preparation of this famous South Indian Offerings.
Udupi Poha Panchakajjaya
- 250 Gms Jaggery (Crushed )
- 1/2 Litre Water
- 250 Gms Poha (Puffed Rice)
- 1 Teaspoons Green Cardamom Powder
- 2 Teaspoons Black Til (Optional) (Added only while preparing Panchakajjaya for Ganahoma)
- 1/2 Cup Grated Coconut
- 2-3 Teaspoons Pure Ghee
- 15-20 Thin Pieces SugarCane Pieces (Added only while preparing Panchakajjaya for Ganahoma)
- 1/2 Cup Laay (Added only while preparing Panchakajjaya for Ganahoma)
Heat the water in a saucepan and let it boil. Once it reaches its boiling point, add the crushed jaggery.
Stir the jaggery till it crystallizes into a thick syrup.
Now add the Poha, Ghee, Grated Coconut and the green cardamom powder. Mix well. Panchakajjaya is ready.
If you are making Panchakajjaya for Ganahoma, you need to add the sugar cane pieces, laay and black til.